Wednesday, November 7, 2012

8 – Passion or Obsession?


Object of Lust
You cannot deny its power over mortal men!

  
I want a motorcycle.  I want a Yamaha FJR.  I want a 2013 Yamaha FJR.  I want a 2013 Yamaha FJR even though they only come in a blasé gold/silver color called Stone Grey.

Is this a passion or an obsession?  Is there a difference?  Does it matter?

A favorite theory says we are the same person throughout life, with only minor changes to accommodate the changing landscape of our immediate environment.  Our personalities are formed and finished by late-teens, and we retain those personalities forever.  Behaviors change to accommodate a spouse or children or jobs or other major life changes, but the basic personality remains inside.  This theory provides an explanation for a man’s mid-life crisis or a usually calm neighbor going on a walk through the nearby college campus shooting at everyone he sees.

Why shouldn’t I lust after a motorcycle – and not just a motorcycle, but a Yamaha FJR?  Thirty years ago, I was struck with the same fever to buy a motorcycle.  It sprang from several motivations, of which these were the most obvious:

1.  Being stationed at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the year-round climate is great for riding motorcycles,
2.  At my prior duty station, I was one of the few car owners, and therefore often tapped for taxicab service, which motorcycle ownership would seriously quash,
3. I was a twenty-something male and hopelessly attracted to speed, horsepower, jolts of adrenaline, hot girls, and all the other natural accompaniments to motorcycles, and
4.  The Navy would not ship my car from Charleston to Honolulu.

What might not be obvious are the traits I currently share with the young man of so many years ago:

1.  Warm climates are not ideal for riding when one decides to wear appropriate protective clothing and armor, so the New England climate is better for riding motorcycles,
2. My days of carrying passengers is over, so why not adopt a vehicle more suited to single-passenger transport,
3.  I am a fifty-something male and hopelessly attracted to speed, horsepower, jolts of adrenaline, hot women, and all the other natural accompaniments to motorcycles,
4.  I am lucky to have enough income that allows me to indulge in a motorcycle purchase, and
5. (jumping on the environmental bandwagon... ) Motorcycles get well over 40 miles per gallon and produce virtually no greenhouse gases.

Fun by the bucketload
Substitute yourself and a hottie of your choice into the photo on the left, which shows a happy couple clearly headed for fun and adventure, and tell me you don’t also want one – and not just any motorcycle, but a Yamaha FJR?

Years ago, the twenty-something me walked into a Yamaha dealer on Kamehameha Highway just outside the front gate to the Pearl Harbor submarine base, and purchased an RD 400.  It was a glorious machine: a silver creature with Yamaha-blue accents, shaped like a café racer with a flat seat and low, swept-back handlebars.  It had a two-stroke, 400 cc engine that was taken directly from Yamaha’s racing program (no kidding) and placed into a frame and suspension package that was better suited for riding around town. 

[Ed:  Two-stroke engines produce power with 2 strokes of the piston, and differ greatly from the typical four-stroke engines common in automobiles and lawn mowers.  Two-stroke engines produce very rapid throttle response, but low torque.  In other words, they are terrible engines for heavy vehicles that require torque to get started from a full stop, but they are gas-powered rocket engines on lightweight vehicles like Yamaha RD 400 motorcycles.  The only modern uses for two-stroke engines are chainsaws and some leaf blowers; they’re easily identified by the sharp whine of the engine and the oil fumes contained in the exhaust.]

Details of that afternoon are forgotten, other than the salesman wanted me to buy it on a payment plan to help establish a credit history.  (I did; made the down payment that afternoon, and paid off the entire loan one month later when I got the first bill.  Probably didn’t help with the credit rating at all.)

Yamaha RD 400: Forgive the labels; this is the only photo I could find
Oh yeah, I remember a few other details.  Like how I had never even sat on a motorcycle before that day, and yet the salesman sold me a seriously dangerous crotch rocket and let me ride it out the door thirty minutes later.  And how I inadvertently popped a wheelie every time the traffic light turned green – even though it was scaring me silly and I couldn’t figure out how to avoid it.

It took a few dozen miles before I learned how to handle my new ride; you know, “treat her like a woman,” and all that stuff?  BZZZZZZT – WRONG!  You had to treat this bike like she was Satan’s pet serpent.  Constantly aware of throttle position, lean angle, pavement condition, surrounding traffic and the psycho drivers therein, weather, and pesky traffic lights that always turned yellow just when it seemed you couldn’t stop in time.  Focus, focus, focus, or you’d find yourself in trouble instantly.

But Satan’s serpent and I managed to find a balance that suited us both.  I was definitely in charge when we were on base – the Navy doesn’t brook recklessness, especially on motorbikes – and I relinquished a bit of control when we hit city streets.  But it was on the embryonic Hawaii interstate system, or on flat, straight roads through miles of pineapple fields, that she seduced me into releasing all control.  I have never been able to resist a seductress.

We would fly down the highway.  Since the bike weighed nothing and I weighed nothing back then, it was almost literally flying.  The light would turn green, my right wrist would flick back, that marvelous fruit of Japanese engineering (or the heart of Satan’s serpent, depending on your perspective) would scream with the fresh supply of gasoline, the front tire would lift off the ground, and the tachometer would spike to the right.  Before I could catch my breath or shift to third gear, we’d be traveling at twice the speed limit.  If the seductress was in charge, the front tire would rise  with every gear shift – every gear shift – up to and including sixth.

I learned to ride with my feet located far to the rear, resting on the passenger footpegs.  This allowed me to get much closer to prone, almost lying down on the long seat, with my chest pressed against the cold steel gas tank.  In this position, the slightest movement of my helmet would cause the bike to lean and turn.  After looking at motorcycle racing photos, I learned to extend my knee out and away from the bike like a sail, which would augment the helmet-tilt when making turns in the depths of Honolulu’s urban jungle or on the curvy switchbacks of Tantalus Drive.

I am astonished, sometimes, that I am still alive.

All that changed when I met a flesh-and-blood seductress.  She was the perfect biker boy accessory: long silky hair, firm arms around my chest as we rode, and tanned thighs that flashed in the sun like gold.  She was even comfortable with the title “Biker Mama,” but absolutely unhappy with the RD’s tendency (and mine) to lift the front tire.

Yamaha XS 750 Special:  Unquestionably Sophisticated 
Satan’s serpent was replaced with a used, dark blue Yamaha XS 750 Special. This bike had a bigger engine: a four-stroke, with three in-line cylinders.  The larger size and four-stroke power made it much more sedate, predictable, and controllable.  I added a sissy bar so the Biker Mama would feel more secure – something I’ll never do again since the firm arms around my chest immediately disappeared.

Its bigger engine and upright seating positions started a new, calmer era in my bike riding history.  But that extra power gave the 750 its own sly seduction.  

Within a few months, I detected rust holes in the mufflers and replaced the exhaust system.  On went a black, powder-finish Kerker performance header and pipe.  The Kerker made the exhaust note almost silent, but made throttle response so much more tempting.  My 750 never was Satan’s serpent, or any of Satan’s pets for that matter, but she could boogie down the highway when I asked her to, blasting through the Honolulu nights like a comet.  We rode regularly, all over Oahu, and she never failed me.

During four years in Hawaii, motorcycles were my only transportation.  When I learned I would be a father, I sold the 750 (OK, a month after I learned), bought a diesel Rabbit, and moved back to the mainland.

Last year I bought my next motorcycle -- after a 28 year hiatus.  Another Yamaha, because Yamaha knows how to build bikes.  I wanted a sport bike, the term now used instead of crotch rocket; a bike I thought would resurrect the memory of Satan’s serpent.  Let’s just say the spirit was willing but the body was not.  After thirty seconds of sitting on the sport bike, I realized my shoulders, wrists, and back were far to old to adapt the prone riding position of 30 years ago.

I quickly dismounted – “Wow, it’s been a really long time since I rode” – and looked through the inventory for something more like the 750.  Found a Yamaha VStar 950 with saddlebags, a windscreen, and an upright sitting position.  Stereotypical black, but the only other choice was red, and I’ll not own a red bike.

Rode it for about 10 months before circumstances required it be sold.  She had 7,000 miles on her when I turned her in, a product of gradually regaining confidence and re-learning rider skills.  I rode almost exclusively alone, and ranged all across Georgia with one brief excursion into Tennessee for a RTE (Ride To Eat) at a microbrewery in downtown Chattanooga.  
  
Mr. Cool and bike at the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory
The Poppy Lady -- you know, "In Flanders Field ..." -- is from Georgia


Mr. Cool at the Georgia Guidestones
I am the President, Sergeant-At-Arms, Ride Captain, and only member of the Barrel O Monkeys Motorcycle Club, with our mother chapter in Dunwoody. I will start a new chapter in Boston when spring returns, bringing a new season of riding weather, and I can justify buying a new motorcycle – no, not “a motorcycle,” a new Yamaha FJR.

This bike has the engine capacity, luggage capacity, wind protection, and ergonomics to travel far.  It is the mount-of-choice of Iron Butt riders, but retains enough of the motorcycle soul to run through curves just so it can demonstrate it has proper balance and response.  It could easily take me to Atlanta, Charlotte, Florence, Fairplay, Labrador City or Gerlach, Nevada.  It could just as easily take me to work.  

Isn't this your dream?
But most importantly, it could take me to philosophical places where the mind-body-soul connections are nourished and cultivated; where the feel of experience is as important as the rationale of intellect; where humans go to feel more human.  Some folks need drum circles, poetry slams, incense, meditation, or intense exercise workouts to get there.  Some folks would rather get there by sitting in front of the TV and drinking beer.

Me?  I want a 2013, Stone Grey, Yamaha FJR.  I am certain it will get me there, no matter where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment